Amazon has released its lists of the best-selling books of 2013, with Dan Brown’s Inferno topping the adult book list followed by Khaled Hosseini’s And the Mountains Echoed. On the best-selling Kids & Teens book list it was the third book of the Divergent series – Allegiant – by Veronica Roth that came in first, with Rick Riordan’s The House of Hades finishing in second place.
Per Amazon, the lists are compiled using sales figures from first editions published in 2013 (print and Kindle editions).
“Last year’s best seller list was filled with Fifty Shades and contemporary romance, but in 2013 Mysteries & Thrillers captured readers attention, with 11 of the top 20 books falling in that category,” said Sara Nelson, Editorial Director of Books and Kindle at Amazon.com.
Top 20 Best-Selling Adult Books:
1. Inferno, Dan Brown
2. And the Mountains Echoed, Khaled Hosseini
3. The Cuckoo’s Calling, Robert Galbraith
4. The Husband’s Secret, Liane Moriarty
5. Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead, Sheryl Sandberg
6. The Hit, David Baldacci
7. Sycamore Row, John Grisham
8. Entwined with You, Sylvia Day
9. Never Go Back, Lee Child
10. The Storyteller, Jodi Picoult
11. Alex Cross, Run, James Patterson
12. Doctor Sleep, Stephen King
13. 12th of Never, James Patterson
14. Damaged: The Ferro Family, H.M. Ward
15. Killing Jesus: A History, Bill O’Reilly
16. Second Honeymoon, James Patterson
17. Whiskey Beach, Nora Roberts
18. The Billionaire’s Obsession: The Complete Collection, J.S. Scott
19. Surrender Your Love, J.C. Reed
20. Six Years, Harlan Coben
Amazon also released these fun facts about the Adult Books bestsellers:
– Lean In is the only book on the top 20 list to sell more print copies than Kindle editions.
– David Baldacci, Sylvia Day and John Grisham also made the top 10 best-selling books list in 2012
– Dan Brown also took the #1 spots in 2009 and 2004, with The Lost Symbol and The Da Vinci Code.
– The best-selling independent book, published via Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) and CreateSpace, is Damaged by H.M. Ward.
– And the Mountains Echoed, The Cuckoo’s Calling, The Husband’s Secret, Lean In, and Doctor Sleep were also featured on the Amazon Book Editors’ Top 100 Best Books of the Year.
Top 20 Best-Selling Kids & Teens Books:
1. Allegiant, Veronica Roth
2. The House of Hades, Rick Riordan
3. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Hard Luck, Jeff Kinney
4. Rush Revere and the Brave Pilgrims: Time-Travel Adventures with Exceptional Americans, Rush Limbaugh
5. Never Too Far, Abbi Glines
6. Out of Breath, Rebecca Donovan
7. Clockwork Princess, Cassandra Clare
8. Forever Too Far, Abbi Glines
9. Twisted Perfection, Abbi Glines
10. The Son of Sobek, Rick Riordan
11. A Quest of Heroes, Morgan Rice
12. The Fall of Five, Pittacus Lore
13. The Day the Crayons Quit, Drew Daywalt
14. A March of Kings, Morgan Rice
15. The Grimm Diaries Prequels volume 1-6, Cameron Jace
16. The Elite, Kiera Cass
17. A Feast of Dragons, Morgan Rice
18. Dork Diaries 6: Tales from a Not-So-Happy Heartbreaker, Rachel Renée Russell
19. Confessions: The Private School Murders, James Patterson
20. Requiem, Lauren Oliver
Amazon’s Kids & Teens books fun facts:
– The same three authors—Rick Riordan, Veronica Roth and Jeff Kinney—also took the top three spots in 2012
– Two Young Adult authors—Abbi Glines and Morgan Rice—snagged five of the top 20 spots thanks to their KDP-published books
– The Day the Crayons Quit is the only picture book to make the top 20 best-selling list, and was also the Amazon Book Editors’ pick for Best Picture Book of the year.
– Allegiant, The House of Hades, The Day the Crayons Quit, and Requiem were all included in the Best Books of the Year for Kids & Teens.
For more of the best of 2013 in books, visit www.amazon.com/bestsellingbooks2013.
-Posted by Rebecca Murray
Follow Us On:
Latest posts by Rebecca Murray (see all)
- Say Good-Bye to ‘Manhattan Love Story’ - October 24, 2014
- Billy Boyd Contributes to ‘The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies’ Soundtrack - October 24, 2014
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Creator Kurt Sutter and Charlie Hunnam on Jax’s Journey - October 24, 2014