The Temptations, Kool and the Gang, KISS, and the Bee Gees are featured on the soundtrack to the action comedy The Nice Guys starring Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling. The film’s set for release on May 20, 2016 and the soundtrack will arrive digitally on May 13th followed by a release on CD on May 20th.
Discussing the selection of ’70s hits compiled for the The Nice Guys soundtrack, music supervisor Randall Poster said, “This is a noir film… this is dark… also? It’s 100% exuberant. Which brings us to the music.” The film’s producer Joel Silver provided input into the selection of artists and songs, convincing Poster to include Earth, Wind & Fire’s ‘Boogie Wonderland’. “Once on board, I was happy to help choose them,” explained Poster. “If you’re looking for oddly ironic 70’s deep tracks, somber commentary on a difficult time — you won’t find it here.”
Directed by Shane Black, The Nice Guys cast also includes Angourie Rice, Matt Bomer, Margaret Qualley, Keith David, Beau Knapp, and Kim Basinger. Black and Anthony Bagarozzi wrote the script, with Ken Kao, Hal Sadoff, Bagarozzi, Alex Walton and Michael J. Malone executive producing.
The Plot: The Nice Guys unfolds in 1970s Los Angeles, when down-on-his-luck private eye Holland March and hired enforcer Jackson Healy become the unlikeliest of partners. Working together, they have to find a missing girl, who seems to have a target on her back. And is her case related to the violent death of porn star Misty Mountain in a car crash? During their investigation, March and Healy begin to uncover a shocking conspiracy that reaches up to the highest circles of power … and just might get them both killed.
The Nice Guys Soundtrack Track List:
01. “Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone” – The Temptations
02. “Get Down On It” – Kool & The Gang
03. “Boogie Oogie Oogie” – A Taste of Honey
04. “September” – Earth, Wind & Fire
05. “Couldn’t Get It Right” – Climax Blues Band
06. “Love and Happiness” – Al Green
07. “Dazz”- Brick
08. “Boogie Wonderland” – Earth, Wind & Fire
09. “Jive Talkin’” – Bee Gees
10. “Rock and Roll All Night” – KISS
11. “Ain’t Got No Home” – The Band
12. Escape (The Piña Colada Song)” – Rupert Holmes
13. “Lonely Boy” – Andrew Gold
14. “A Horse with No Name” – America
15. “Green Peppers” – Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass