Kurt Sutter (Sons of Anarchy) has moved on to his new series The Bastard Executioner and, finally, he’s officially announced the cast of the new show. The FX series’ cast will be led by Aussie actor Lee Jones with Stephen Moyer – best known to millions of True Blood fans as Vampire Bill – and Sam Spruell also playing lead roles.
Sutter’s wife actress Katey Sagal was already confirmed as a cast member for his new period drama but the casting announcement revealed Sutter himself will be back in front of the camera as a regular on the new series. Sutter, who described his role as small and hideous, will play a character who is mute and doesn’t reveal his face.
Other cast members include Timothy V. Murphy, Sarah Sweeny, Danny Sapani, Darren Evans, and Sarah White. And keeping it in the FX family, the star of the critically acclaimed The Americans Matthew Rhys will have a recurring guest starring role.
Filming will kick off on March 19, 2015 in Wales. Sutter is executive producing and wrote the pilot’s script. Paris Barclay’s set to direct the pilot episode.
A period drama, The Bastard Executioner tells the story of a warrior knight in King Edward I’s charge who is broken by the ravages of war and vows to lay down his sword. But when that violence finds him again he is forced to pick up the bloodiest sword of all.
The cast and their characters, courtesy of FX:
· Lee Jones, a newly discovered Australian theater actor, will take the lead as “Wilkin Brattle”: Tall, dark, imposing. Emotionally deep, spiritually tortured. Former knight in the charge of King Edward I. He now lives a simple agrarian life.
· Stephen Moyer will star as “Milus Corbett”: Street smart and noble savvy. He was one of Ventris’ marshals in the army. Now, serves as his Chamberlain, Chancellor and Justiciar. Friend and drinking mate.
· Katey Sagal will star as “Annora of the Alders”: Prescient, mystical and beautiful. She offers predictions, cures and potions.
· Flora Spencer-Longhurst will star as “Baroness Lowry ‘Love’ Aberffraw Ventris”: As cunning as she is kind and beautiful. From a wealthy Welsh family, she married Ventris at 17 to protect her family’s land. Her noble duties always in conflict with her Welsh pride.
· Kurt Sutter will star as “The Dark Mute”: Mate and guardian of Annora. Speaks rarely, no one’s ever seen his face.
· Sam Spruell will star as “Toran Prichard”: Fierce, tenacious. An archer under Madog Llywelyn in the last major Welsh rebellion. He put down the bow and picked up the hoe. Wilkin’s best mate.
· Darren Evans will star as “Ash y Goedwig”: Wiry, smart. A trapper. An orphan “of the woods”. Friend of Wilkin.
· Danny Sapani will star as “Berber the Moor”: A large, educated man. Converted Muslim. A farmer. Friend of Wilkin.
· Timothy V. Murphy will star as “Father Ruskin”: A Brawny. Gentle, with bottled fury. Former soldier. Left the military for the seminary. Priest, rector and teacher of the court.
· Sarah White will star as “Isabel Kiffin”: Tall, slight. Awkward and innocent. Lady Love’s handmaiden and trusted confidant.
· Sarah Sweeny as “Jessamy Maddox”: Pretty, hardened by abuse. The executioner’s wife.
· In a guest-starring role, Matthew Rhys as “Gruffudd y Blaidd”: Smart, fearless, of noble blood. The Wolf. Leader of the Welsh rebels, Byth Encil.
-By Rebecca Murray
Follow Us On: