Captain America: Civil War had to settle for second place in its third weekend of domestic release. The Angry Birds Movie, the animated film based on the popular Rovio game app, snagged the first place finish with an opening weekend take of $39 million. But don’t feel bad about Captain America‘s second place finish to animated angry birds and weird green pigs; Captain America: Civil War has now crossed the $1 billion mark, making it the first film of 2016 to pass the milestone.
Meanwhile, Universal’s Neighbors sequel failed to reach the same opening numbers as the 2014 film that spawned it. Neighbors 2 rang up less than half of what Neighbors #1 made over its opening weekend, snagging $21 million compared to the first film’s $49 million opener. The weekend’s other wide release, The Nice Guys, finished fourth with $11 million, performing about as expected. Starring two major A-list actors – Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling – The Nice Guys is currently sitting at 90% fresh on RottenTomatoes.
Box Office Top 10: May 20-22, 2016
- The Angry Birds Movie – $39,000,000
- Captain America: Civil War – $33,114,000
- Neighbors 2 – $21,790,000
- The Nice Guys – $11,270,000
- The Jungle Book – $11,017,000
- Money Monster – $7,080,000
- The Darkness – $2,363,000
- Zootopia – $1,703,000
- The Huntsman: Winter’s War – $1,190,000
- Mother’s Day – $1,115,214