Last weekend’s first and second place finishers, The Boss Baby and Beauty and the Beast, easily managed to retain their positions at the top of the box office chart. Although DreamWorks Animation’s The Boss Baby fell nearly 50% compared to its opening weekend, the animated comedy featuring the voice of Alec Baldwin continued to draw in families despite the competition from newcomer Smurfs: The Lost Village. And speaking of those weird blue creatures, the first all-animated Smurfs movie from Sony Pictures performed about as expected.
The competition for box office supremacy will rev up next weekend with the arrival of The Fate of the Furious. Set to open on Thursday evening, April 13th, the eighth film of the franchise is not only expected to take over first place, it’s also expected to earn a spot high on the list of the year’s biggest openings.
Box Office Top 10: April 7-9, 2017
- The Boss Baby – $26,300,000
- Beauty and the Beast – $25,022,000
- Smurfs: The Lost Village – $14,015,000
- Going in Style – $12,500,000
- Ghost in the Shell – $7,350,000
- Power Rangers – $6,215,000
- Kong: Skull Island – $5,825,000
- Logan – $4,050,000
- Get Out – $4,020,485
- The Case for Christ – $3,900,000