The Fate of the Furious marked the eighth film of the Fast and Furious franchise and the second to open in domestic release above the $100 million mark. The Fate of the Furious didn’t come close to Furious 7‘s opening weekend take of $147 million, however the action drama did set a new record for the biggest opening weekend worldwide. Preliminary weekend estimates show Star Wars: The Force Awakens and its $529 million falling to second place as The Fate of the Furious‘ gigantic $532 million global opening weekend takes over first in the record books. China helped fuel The Fate of the Furious‘ huge opening weekend numbers, with the eighth F&F ringing up $190 million there and setting a new three-day opening record.
The Fate of the Furious should have an easy road to victory next weekend when it goes up against Unforgettable with Katherine Heigl, The Promise starring Christian Bale and Oscar Isaac, and Free Fire featuring Sharlto Copley, Brie Larson, and Cillian Murphy.
Box Office Top 10: April 14-16, 2017
- The Fate of the Furious – $100,181,640
- The Boss Baby – $15,540,000
- Beauty and the Beast – $13,634,000
- Smurfs: The Lost Village – $6,500,000
- Going in Style – $6,350,000
- Gifted – $3,000,000
- Get Out – $2,917,000
- Power Rangers – $2,850,000
- The Case for Christ – $2,720,000
- Kong: Skull Island – $2,670,000