Netflix just announced major casting news for their new series, Ginny & Georgia. The series is described as a mother/daughter coming of age drama and has The Exorcist‘s Brianne Howey on board to play Georgia. Newcomer Antonia Gentry (Candy Jar) has been cast in the lead role of Ginny.
In addition to Brianne Howey and Antonia Gentry, the main cast will include Diesel La Torraca (Little Monsters), Jennifer Robertson (Schitt’s Creek), Felix Mallard (Happy Together), Sara Waisglass (Degrassi: Next Class), Scott Porter (Friday Night Lights), and Raymond Ablack (Narcos).
The casting news comes as filming is getting underway in Toronto, Canada.
Season one will consist of 10 one-hour episodes, according to Netflix. The streaming service is targeting a 2020 premiere.
Ginny & Georgia was created by Sarah Lampert, writer of season one. Debra J. Fisher (Alias, Criminal Minds, Being Mary Jane) is the showrunner and executive produces with Jeff Tahler, Jenny Daly, Holly Hines, and Daniel March. Anya Adams (GLOW, black-ish) is directing the first two episodes.
Ginny & Georgia Plot Details and Character Descriptions:
Angsty and awkward fifteen-year-old Ginny Miller (Gentry) often feels more mature than her thirty-year-old mother, the irresistible and dynamic Georgia Miller (Howey). After years on the run, Georgia desperately wants to put down roots in picturesque New England and give her family something they’ve never had… a normal life. For Ginny, that means navigating a prestigious school, rising popularity, and complicated love interests. But it’s not all carpool and Kombucha as Georgia’s past threatens her and her family’s new way of life.
- Brianne Howey will play “Georgia.” Georgia is shrewd, smart manipulative and steely under her charm. She escaped poverty and had her first child, Ginny, at age 15. A firm believer in retribution, Georgia is a survivor, no matter what life throws at her.
- Antonia Gentry will play “Ginny.” Ginny is a very smart, rebellious, and vulnerable teenager beneath an armor of outspokenness and quick wit. Ginny is the bi-racial daughter of Georgia and not quite sure what to make of their new home in an upscale Massachusetts town.
- Diesel La Torraca will play “Austin.” Austin is Ginny’s sweet, innocent, perpetually unkempt younger son. He is desperate to hold on to the promise of their new life in Massachusetts.
- Jennifer Robertson will play “Ellen.” Ellen is a working mom and more grounded than her preppy upscale neighbors. She is the mother of 15-year-old twins Maxine and Marcus, says what she thinks, and lives across the street from new neighbors Georgia and her two children.
- Felix Mallard will play “Marcus.” Marcus is the edgy, bad boy across the street you shouldn’t have a crush on but do. Maxine’s twin brother, he is intrigued with his new neighbor Ginny.
- Sara Waisglass will play “Maxine.” Maxine is cool, popular, smart, quirky, confident, and has a huge crush on Georgia. She is impressed with new girl Ginny and immediately befriends her.
- Scott Porter will play “Mayor Paul Randolph.” Some would call him a young JFK. As Mayor of Wellsbury, Massachusetts, Paul is focused, driven, and recognizes a formidable force in Georgia.
- Raymond Ablack will play “Joe.” Joe is granola in a manly way, not a man bun way. He owns the local farm to table restaurant, Blue Farm Cafe. And can’t help but notice when Georgia moves to town.