Members of the Broadcast Television Journalists Association (BTJA) just announced their nominees in this year’s ‘Most Exciting New Series’ category. BTJA members selected the eight nominees based on pilot episodes, advance screenings, and trailers for new fall shows. In order to qualify for consideration, the series had to debut after July 1, 2016.
The complete list of nominees for the Critics’ Choice Awards in the television categories will be announced on November 14, 2016. The announcement in the film categories will follow on November 30th. The 22nd Annual Critics’ Choice Awards, which recently bumped up its date to get a jump on the awards season, will air live on A&E on December 11th. T.J. Miller (Deadpool, Silicon Valley) will return to host and the event will once again be held at the Barker Hangar in Santa Monica, CA.
The nominees in the Most Exciting New Series category are:
- Atlanta (FX/FX Productions)
- Better Things (FX/FX Productions/3 Arts Entertainment/Pig Newton)
- Designated Survivor (ABC/ABC Studios/Genre Films/The Mark Gordon Company)
- The Good Place (NBC/3 Arts Entertainment/Universal Television/Fremulon)
- One Mississippi (Amazon/FX Productions/Pig Newton)
- Pitch (Fox/20th Century Fox Television/Left Coast Productions/Rhode Island Ave. Productions)
- This Is Us (NBC/20th Century Fox Television/Rhode Island Ave. Productions)
- Westworld (HBO/Warner Bros. Television/Bad Robot Productions/Kilter Films/Jerry Weintraub Productions)
“The freedom and creativity flowing in the television world today is without precedent,” stated BTJA President Joey Berlin. “We believe it’s valuable for our members to fulfill their responsibility to help viewers find the best new shows in such an incredibly crowded television environment – now – just as the fall season is getting underway. We can’t wait to see how these exciting new shows develop in the coming months.”