Doctor Strange was just want the doctor ordered, leading a pack of new theatrical releases with a $85 million domestic opening weekend. Doctor Strange starring Benedict Cumberbatch proved to be a powerful draw, more so even than the first films in the Thor and Captain America series. In addition to Doctor Strange‘s huge opening, Disney execs received more great news as the studio made it past the $6 billion mark at the box office for the first time in history.
The weekend’s new family-friendly music-filled offering, Trolls, also performed well, snagging a $45 opening weekend and finishing in second place. Trolls, featuring the voices of Anna Kendrick and Justin Timberlake, will have the animated film lovers audience to itself for just a few weeks until Moana opens in wide release on November 23rd.
Box Office Top 10: November 4-6, 2016
- Doctor Strange – $84,989,000
- Trolls – $45,600,000
- Hacksaw Ridge – $14,750,000
- Boo! A Madea Halloween – $7,800,000
- Inferno – $6,250,000
- The Accountant – $5,950,000
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back – $5,580,000
- Ouija: Origin of Evil – $3,983,000
- The Girl on the Train – $2,775,000
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children – $2,100,000