The 2016 remake/reimagining of the 1984 comedy Ghostbusters performed slightly better than Sony’s pre-release estimates but still lost out on the #1 spot at the box office to reigning champ, The Secret Life of Pets. Ghostbusters grossed $46 million domestically, making it the highest grossing opening weekend for both director Paul Feig and actress Melissa McCarthy. Whether or not there will be a new Ghostbusters 2 will likely depend on how well the film performs over the next few weeks, although Sony executives seem to be happy about the opening weekend box office take. “We’re ecstatic with this opening. We have successfully restarted an important brand,” stated Sony’s Josh Greenstein.
The weekend also proved to be a good one for Disney as Finding Dory swam into the first place position as the highest grossing animated film domestically. As of the July 15, 2016 weekend, Finding Dory passed the $445 million mark and took over first place from Shrek 2.
Box Office Top 10: July 8-10, 2016
- The Secret Life of Pets – $50,560,000
- Ghostbusters – $46,000,000
- The Legend of Tarzan – $11,120,000
- Finding Dory – $11,040,000
- Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates – $7,500,000
- The Purge: Election Year – $6,080,000
- Central Intelligence – $5,300,000
- The Infiltrator – $5,287,000
- The BFG – $3,747,000
- Independence Day: Resurgence – $3,450,000