Filming is now underway in Los Angeles on Freeform’s new series Good Trouble. The show’s a spinoff from the popular dramatic series The Fosters and centers around fan favorites Callie Jacob, played by Maia Mitchell (Hot Summer Nights, Teen Beach 2), and Mariana Adams Foster, played by Cierra Ramirez (The Secret Life of the American Teenager).
Per Freeform, the cast of the spinoff includes Tommy Martinez (Riverdale), Zuri Adele, Sherry Cola (I Love Dick), Roger Bart (A Series of Unfortunate Events), Emma Hunton (Happy Endings), and Ken Kirby (The Gay and Wondrous Life of Caleb Gallo).
Series stars Maia Mitchell and Cierra Ramirez serve as executive producers along with Gregory Gugliotta, Christine Sacani, Jennifer Lopez, Elaine Goldsmith-Thomas, and Benny Medina. Joanna Johnson, Peter Paige, and Bradley Bredeweg created Good Trouble and are on board as showrunners. Crazy Rich Asians‘ Jon M. Chu is directing and executive producing the show’s first episode.
“We’re seeing millennials in this country doing extraordinary things, making noise, taking action. Stirring up ‘Good Trouble’ as they grow, strive and struggle to make the mess of their early twenties into the message,” stated Joanna Johnson, Peter Paige and Bradley Bredeweg in a joint statement. “As Callie and Mariana venture to Los Angeles to start their adult lives and embark on their separate but intertwined journeys to change the world, they’re going to have all the ‘Good Trouble’ they can handle.”
The Fosters ran for five seasons from 2013-2018. Good Trouble, a Nuyorican Productions and Freeform production, is expected to premiere in 2019.
The Plot: The series, which was announced earlier this year, will follow Callie (Mitchell) and Mariana (Ramirez) as they embark on the next phase of their young adult lives in Los Angeles.
The Supporting Characters:
- Tommy Martinez will play Gael, a socially conscious and politically active graphic designer.
- Zuri Adele is Malika, a whip-smart former foster kid with a pension for social justice.
- Sherry Cola will portray Alice, a first-generation Asian American who manages the apartment complex.
- Roger Bart is conservative Judge Wilson for whom Callie is clerking.
- Emma Hunton is on board as Davia, a no holds barred teacher who also lives at The Coterie.
- Ken Kirby will portray Benjamin, a conservative fellow clerk who works with Callie.