Disney’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 improved on the first film’s domestic opening weekend, ringing up $145 million over its first three days in release compared to Guardians of the Galaxy‘s $94 million. The sequel’s a hit with critics, sitting at 81% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes based on 253 reviews, and ticket buyers awarded it an A, according to CinemaScore. 41% of its $428 worldwide gross came from 3D screenings which accounted for $174 million of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2‘s total gross.
The eighth film of the Fast and Furious franchise, The Fate of the Furious, moved down into second place after three weekends in the top spot on the domestic box office chart. Including this weekend’s tally, The Fate of the Furious has rung up $207 million domestically.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and The Fate of the Furious will be taking on newcomers King Arthur: Legend of the Sword with Charlie Hunnam and Snatched starring Goldie Hawn and Amy Schumer next weekend, both opening in wide release on May 12, 2017.
Box Office Top 10: May 5-7, 2017
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 – $145,049,000
- The Fate of the Furious – $8,528,965
- The Boss Baby – $6,175,000
- How to be a Latin Lover – $5,250,000
- Beauty and the Beast – $4,943,000
- The Circle – $4,020,000
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion – $3,242,532
- Gifted – $2,055,000
- Going in Style – $1,900,000
- Smurfs: The Lost Village – $1,820,000