The cast of the dramatic series Love Is___ has expanded by five. Idara Victor, Tyrone Brown, Kadeem Hardison, Yootha Wong-Loi-Sing, and Lana Young have just been announced as joining the cast in series regular roles. The new cast members join Michele Weaver and Will Catlett in the OWN drama from executive producers Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil.
Love Is___ is a one-hour drama from Akil Productions in association with Warner Horizon Scripted Television. Mara Brock Akil wrote the pilot and is the series’ showrunner. OWN has greenlit the series for a 10 episode first season.
The Plot: A humorous drama about a modern-day power couple balancing successful careers and a beautiful family, Love Is___ draws inspiration from the real-life relationship between executive producers Mara Brock Akil & Salim Akil. In the world of Black Hollywood, they navigate a complex set of social codes, and this series will explore it all, from the good to the bad…to the ’90s, because that’s where this definitive love story all began.
- Idara Victor (Alita: Battle Angel) has been cast in the series regular role of Angela. A member of the same writing staff as Nuri (series star Michele Weaver), Angela doesn’t always agree with everything Nuri says, mainly because she is a disgruntled drama writer stuck in a comedy she doesn’t believe in. She’s often misunderstood as mad. Professionally, Angela plays it cool. But in private conversation with Nuri, Angela is considerably more warm and relaxed, and she is the good friend that Nuri needs.
- Tyrone Brown (Bull) has been cast in the series regular role of Sean. Sean possesses great taste and has a lot of opinions, but he lacks follow-through. He was the first one to spot Nuri as a catch and uses his best friend, Yasir (series star Will Catlett), as a wingman to meet her — but to no avail. A year later, when he and Yasir cross paths with Nuri again, Sean is in a relationship and has a child with Camille, giving Yasir the opportunity to pursue Nuri.
- Kadeem Hardison (K.C. Undercover, A Different World) has been cast in the series regular role of Norman. The executive producer of Marvin, Norman is a tough boss who is hard to impress and even harder to amuse. As the play-cousin to the star of the show, he’s under a lot of pressure, and he takes his frustrations out on his room of writers, pressing them all to dig a lot deeper into themselves before they’re all fired and replaced.
- Yootha Wong-Loi-Sing (Hunter Street, The Price of Sugar) has been cast in the series regular role of Ruby. Ruby is Yasir’s on-and-off girlfriend; they came to L.A. to chase their dreams, but hers are idling and Yasir’s never got any traction. Worn out, she’s acerbic and moody and fed up that Yasir still does not have a job. She winds up gently set aside when Yasir pairs off (for life) with Nuri.
- Lana Young (Greenleaf) has been cast in the series regular role of Nuri in the year 2027. Nuri is first seen in 2027, in her 50s, relaxed, happy, and comfortable in her life and her 32-year marriage to Yasir.