The Epix dramatic series Pennyworth has added Polly Walker (The Mentalist, Rome) to its season one cast in a recurring role. Walker has signed on to play Peggy Sykes in the series which delves into the backstory of Batman’s butler, Alfred Pennyworth. Jack Bannon was previously announced to star in the title role.
According to the casting announcement, Peggy Sykes is the sister of Bet Sykes, played by Paloma Faith. Peggy is described as “one of Lancashire’s busiest and most successful dominatrixes. The sensible matriarch in a family of maniacs, Peggy is fiercely loyal, endlessly resourceful, and lives by her own strange but rigorous moral code.”
Filming is currently underway on the 10 episode first season at Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden, UK. The Warner Horizon Scripted Television project comes from writer/executive producer Bruno Heller and director/executive producer Danny Cannon.
The Pennyworth Plot:
The drama follows Bruce Wayne’s legendary butler, Alfred Pennyworth (Bannon), a former British SAS soldier in his 20’s, who forms a security company and goes to work with a young billionaire Thomas Wayne (Ben Aldridge), who’s not yet Bruce’s father, in 1960s London.
- Alfred Pennyworth is a boyishly handsome, cheerful, charming, clever young man from London. Honest, open-faced and witty; you’d never take him for an SAS killer. Alfred doesn’t know how to reconcile the kind-hearted boy he used to be with the cold, calculated killer he was forced to become. He’s a man on the make, who doesn’t know what to make of himself yet.
- Thomas Wayne is a young, fresh-faced billionaire hailing from the east coast of the United States. Confident and extremely disciplined, this young aristocrat meets an unlikely business partner in Alfred Pennyworth.
- Dave Boy (Ryan Fletcher), a haggard Highland Scotsman who is slowly drinking himself to death since leaving the army, is a close ally of Alfred and Bazza and also the most unpredictable of the trio.
- Bazza (Hainsley Lloyd Bennett), a posh Bajan playboy, is highly proficient at logistics and a valued member of Alfred’s team.
- Lord Harwood (Jason Flemyng) is upper class Englishman; he’s cultured, urbane, brilliant and supremely sure of himself. His sadistic, cruel nature has a veneer of charm.
- Bet Sykes is a spirited, sadistic and sharp-tongued villain.