With production just about to get underway in New Orleans, Netflix announced they’ve signed up actor/dancer/model Ava Michelle to handle the Tall Girl lead role. They’ve also filled out the cast of supporting players for the comedy directed by Nzingha Stewart (Grey’s Anatomy, A Million Little Things). Sam Wolfson (Andi Mack, Finding Carter) wrote the action comedy’s script.
“It was essential for us to find an actor to portray our lead who can speak to the challenges and lessons that Jodi experiences from a very personal place of authenticity,” stated director Nzingha Stewart. “Ava’s ability to beautifully and uniquely showcase those attributes stood out to us in a way that we believe audiences will connect with. Tall Girl showcases that embracing the very qualities that make you different is what allows you to overcome anything.”
Wonderland’s McG, Corey Marsh, and Mary Viola (The Duff) are producing.
Cast and Character Details, Courtesy of Netflix:
- Ava Michelle, who is 6 feet and 1 inch tall, will play Jodi, a 16 year old who must embrace what makes her different and be proud to stand out, not fit in.
- Griffin Gluck (Netflix’s American Vandal, who also stars in the coming of age drama Big Time Adolescence) will star in Tall Girl as Jack Dunkleman, Jodi’s best friend.
- Actor, musician, and model Luke Eisner (The Goldbergs), who is making his feature film debut, will star as Stig, a handsome – and equally tall – Swedish foreign exchange student.
- Sabrina Carpenter (The Hate U Give, forthcoming The Short History of The Long Road) stars as Harper, Jodi’s beautiful and extremely melodramatic pageant-winning older sister.
- Paris Berelc (Netflix’s Alexa & Katie) stars as Liz, the unconventional best friend of Jodi’s tormentor.
- Rounding out Jodi’s family is Steve Zahn (Valley of the Boom) as Richie Kreyman, Jodi’s manic and anxious dad with a big heart and Angela Kinsey (The Office) as Helaine Kreyman, Jodi’s former pageant-queen mom who struggles to connect with her daughter.
- Anjelika Washington (DC Universe’s Stargirl) as Fareeda, Jodi’s best friend who seems to have it all figured out.
- Clara Wilsey as Kimmy, the most popular girl at school and Jodi’s nemesis.
- Rico Paris as Schnipper, a popular jerk and one of Jodi’s regular tormentors.
The Tall Girl Plot:
Tall Girl is the 2019 Netflix original comedy about Jodi, the tallest girl in her school, who has never quite felt comfortable in her own statuesque skin. All of that changes when she falls for the handsome (and equally tall) foreign exchange student Stig who, of course, gets Jodi’s quirky, best, male friend Dunkleman and his hippie mom as a host family. As a result, Jodi gets embroiled in a surprising love triangle, which helps her realize she’s far more than her insecurities about her height have led her to believe.