Green Book, Roma, and A Star is Born are among the films in the running for Writers Guild Awards, representing the best of 2018’s theatrical releases. The Writers Guild of America West and Writers Guild of America East revealed their 2019 Writers Guild Awards’ best Original Screenplay, Adapted Screenplay, and Documentary Screenplay nominees one day after the Golden Globes honored Green Book‘s screenplay.
Winners will be announced in two separate ceremonies held in Los Angeles and New York City on Sunday, February 17, 2019. 2018’s Adapted Screenplay winner, Call Me by Your Name, went on to win the Oscar. The guild’s Original Screenplay winner, Get Out, won the Best Original Screenplay Oscar.
Members of the WGA also released their list of nominees in their Videogame Writing category. 2018 videogames up for the guild’s annual award include Marvel’s Spider-Man, Batman: The Enemy Within, and Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.
The WGA is made up of writers working in motion pictures, television, cable, digital media, and broadcast news. 2018’s Adapted Screenplay winner, Call Me by Your Name, went on to win the Oscar. The guild’s Original Screenplay winner, Get Out, also won the Best Original Screenplay Oscar.
- ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
- Eighth Grade, Written by Bo Burnham; A24
- Green Book, Written by Nick Vallelonga & Brian Currie & Peter Farrelly; Universal Pictures
- A Quiet Place, Screenplay by Bryan Woods & Scott Beck and John Krasinski, Story by Bryan Woods & Scott Beck; Paramount Pictures
- Roma, Written by Alfonso Cuarón; Netflix
- Vice, Written by Adam McKay; Annapurna Pictures
- ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
- Blackkklansman, Written by Charlie Wachtel & David Rabinowitz and Kevin Willmott & Spike Lee, Based on the book by Ron Stallworth; Focus Features
- Black Panther, Written by Ryan Coogler & Joe Robert Cole, Based on the Marvel Comics by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby; Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
- Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Screenplay by Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty, Based on the book by Lee Israel; Fox Searchlight
- If Beale Street Could Talk, Screenplay by Barry Jenkins, Based on the novel by James Baldwin; Annapurna Pictures
- A Star is Born, Screenplay by Eric Roth and Bradley Cooper & Will Fetters, Based on the 1954 screenplay by Moss Hart and the 1976 screenplay by John Gregory Dunne & Joan Didion and Frank Pierson, Based on a story by William Wellman and Robert Carson; Warner Bros.
- DOCUMENTARY SCREENPLAY
- Bathtubs Over Broadway, Written by Ozzy Inguanzo & Dava Whisenant; Focus Features
- Fahrenheit 11/9, Written by Michael Moore; Briarcliff Entertainment
- Generation Wealth, Written by Lauren Greenfield; Amazon Studios
- In Search of Greatness, Written by Gabe Polsky; Art of Sport
- VIDEOGAME WRITING
- Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Associate Narrative Directors Matthew Zagurak, Joel Janisse, James Richard Mittag; Narrative Director Melissa MacCoubrey; Story by Jonathan Dumont, Melissa MacCoubrey, Hugo Giard; Scriptwriters Madeleine Hart, Betty Robertson, Jesse Scoble, Diana Sherman, Kelly Bender, Jojo Chia, Ian Fun, Zachary M. Parris, Ken Williamson, Daniel Bingham, Jordan Lemos, Simon Mackenzie, Katelyn MacMullin, Susan Patrick, Alissa Ralph, Stephen Rhodes; Team Lead Writer Sam Gill; AI Writers Jonathan Flieger, Kimberly Ann Sparks; Ubisoft Quebec
- Batman: The Enemy Within, Episode 5-Same Stitch, Lead Writer James Windeler; Written by Meghan Thornton, Ross Beeley, Lauren Mee; Story by Meghan Thornton, Michael Kirkbride; Telltale Games
- God of War, Written by Matt Sophos, Richard Zangrande Gaubert, Cory Barlog; Story and Narrative Design Lead Matt Sophos; Story and Narrative Design Richard Zangrande Gaubert; Narrative Design Orion Walker, Adam Dolin; Sony Interactive Entertainment
- Marvel’s Spider-Man, Story Lead Jon Paquette; Writers Benjamin Arfmann, Kelsey Beachum; Co-Written by Christos Gage; Additional Story Contributions by Dan Slott; Insomniac Games & Sony Interactive Entertainment
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, Narrative Designers Alex Scokel, Eric Fenstermaker, Kate Dollarhyde, Megan Starks, Olivia Veras, Paul Kirsch; Additional Writing Tony Evans, John Schmautz, Casey Hollingshead, Nitai Poddar; Narrative Design Leads Carrie Patel, Josh Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment