FX is moving forward slowly, but surely, on an adaptation of Brian K. Vaughan’s award-winning Y: The Last Man comic book series. Titled simply Y, the adaptation now has Eliza Clark on board as showrunner.
Clark’s writing credits include TNT’s Animal Kingdom, AMC’s The Killing, AMC’s Rubicon, and CBS’ Extant. Clark will also executive produce along with Vaughan, Nina Jacobson, Brad Simpson, and Melina Matsoukas. Matsoukas is directing the pilot episode.
Season one of the sci-fi drama is targeting a 2020 premiere.
FX previously announced Oscar nominee Diane Lane (Unfaithful), Barry Keoghan (Dunkirk), Imogen Poots (Frank & Lola), Lashana Lynch (Captain Marvel), Juliana Canfield (Succession), Marin Ireland (Sneaky Pete), and Amber Tamblyn (Two and a Half Men) are set to star in season one.
“Eliza Clark is an enormously talented writer and producer whose ambitious vision for Y will only enhance the mystique and allure of this powerful story,” said Nick Grad, Co-President, Original Programming, FX Entertainment. “We are thrilled to have her on board and partner with this stellar cast, Brian, Nina, Brad and Melina.”
“A decade ago I devoured the complete Y: The Last Man series cover to cover, imagining how it might take shape on screen,” explained Eliza Clark. “It introduced me to the amazing work of Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra and the complex, fascinating world of Y. I’m thrilled to tell this story and to be working with this immensely talented cast.”
“We were chasing Eliza Clark as a writer long before we knew that she shared our obsession with Y: The Last Man,” added producer Nina Jacobson. Eli’s singular voice and insight into the world and themes of Y make her uniquely suited to bring this story to life.”
The Plot and Characters:
“All of the men are dead. But one. Based on DC Comics’ acclaimed series Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra, Y traverses a post-apocalyptic world in which a cataclysmic event has decimated every male save for one lone human. The new world order of women will explore gender, race, class and survival.”
- Diane Lane will play “Senator Jennifer Brown.” A Junior Senator in her first term, Senator Brown has already made a name for herself in political circles for her willingness to put personal ideals above politics. She is also the mother of Yorick and Hero Brown.
- Barry Keoghan will play “Yorick Brown,” a young man quick to use humor to deflect from his problems who may be the lone male survivor of a worldwide plague.
- Imogen Poots will play “Hero Brown.” A tough and confident EMT, Hero nurses a deep emotional trauma that often leads her to cross personal and professional lines.
- Lashana Lynch will play “Agent 355,” a Secret Service agent who performs the duties of her job with the utmost professionalism, even under the most unexpected set of circumstances.
- Juliana Canfield will play “Beth.” A Brooklyn-based knife maker, Beth grew up on a farm and went to New York to experience the big city. She finds something endearing about the hapless Yorick and when they’re together, there’s the undeniable spark of two kids in love.
- Marin Ireland (Sneaky Pete) with play “Nora,” the President’s senior assistant and right hand. She effortlessly balances family life with a job navigating the corridors of power.