Epix has just released a 17 second Pennyworth teaser trailer introducing Jack Bannon (The Imitation Game, Ripper Street) as as a young Alfred Pennyworth. The network’s also unveiled two photos of Bannon in character.
The series doesn’t have a confirmed premiere date but is expected to debut sometime this summer. Filming is currently underway at Warner Bros Studios Leavesden in the UK.
Season one of the series, based on characters created by Bob Kane with Bill Finger, consists of 10 hour-long episodes. Bruno Heller (Gotham, The Mentalist, Rome) writes and executive produces. Danny Cannon (Gotham, CSI series) is on board as an executive producer and director.
Joining Jack Bannon in season one are Ben Aldridge (Our Girl, Fleabag), Paloma Faith, Jason Flemyng (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), Ryan Fletcher (Outlander), Hainsley Lloyd Bennett (Eastenders), Emma Paetz (Gentleman Jack), and Polly Walker (The Mentalist, Rome).
The Pennyworth Plot:
The drama follows Bruce Wayne’s legendary butler, Alfred Pennyworth (Bannon), a former British SAS soldier in his 20’s, who forms a security company and goes to work with a young billionaire Thomas Wayne (Aldridge), who’s not yet Bruce’s father, in 1960s London.
- Alfred Pennyworth is a boyishly handsome, cheerful, charming, clever young man from London. Honest, open-faced and witty; you’d never take him for an SAS killer. Alfred doesn’t know how to reconcile the kind-hearted boy he used to be with the cold, calculated killer he was forced to become. He’s a man on the make, who doesn’t know what to make of himself yet.
- Thomas Wayne is a young, fresh-faced billionaire hailing from the east coast of the United States. Confident and extremely disciplined, this young aristocrat meets an unlikely business partner in Alfred Pennyworth.
- Dave Boy (Fletcher), a haggard Highland Scotsman who is slowly drinking himself to death since leaving the army, is a close ally of Alfred and Bazza and also the most unpredictable of the trio.
- Bazza (Bennett), a posh Bajan playboy, is highly proficient at logistics and a valued member of Alfred’s team.
- Lord Harwood (Flemyng) is upper class Englishman; he’s cultured, urbane, brilliant and supremely sure of himself. His sadistic, cruel nature has a veneer of charm.
- Bet Sykes (Faith) is a spirited, sadistic and sharp-tongued villain.
- Peggy Sykes (Walker) is the sister of Bet Sykes, played by Paloma Faith. Peggy is described as one of Lancashire’s busiest and most successful dominatrixes. The sensible matriarch in a family of maniacs, Peggy is fiercely loyal, endlessly resourceful, and lives by her own strange but rigorous moral code.