The Outsider will debut on January 12, 2020, as just announced by HBO. The drama, based on Stephen King’s bestselling novel, also released a new trailer which introduced the key characters involved in season one.
The adaptation stars Ben Mendelsohn, Jason Bateman, Cynthia Erivo, Bill Camp, and Mare Winningham. Paddy Considine, Julianne Nicholson, Yul Vazquez, Jeremy Bobb, and Marc Menchaca also star in season one.
Richard Price (The Wire, The Night Of) wrote and executive produced the first 10-episode season. Andrew Bernstein, Marty Bowen, Jack Bender, Michael Costigan, Dennis Lehane, and Jason Bateman also executive produce. In addition, Bateman directed the first two episodes. Series star Ben Mendelsohn produces the Aggregrate Films and Temple Hill Entertainment Production.
The Plot and Characters, Courtesy of HBO:
Based on Stephen King’s bestselling novel of the same name, The Outsider is a new drama series that explores the investigation into the gruesome murder of a local boy and the mysterious force surrounding the case.
The series follows police detective Ralph Anderson as he sets out to investigate the mutilated body of 11-year-old Frankie Peterson found in the Georgia woods. The mysterious circumstances surrounding this horrifying crime leads Ralph, still grieving the recent death of his own son, to bring in unorthodox private investigator Holly Gibney whose uncanny abilities he hopes will help explain the unexplainable.
- Ben Mendelsohn is Police Detective Ralph Anderson
- Cynthia Ervio is Private Investigator Holly Gibney
- Bill Camp is Howie Salomon
- Mare Winningham is Ralph’s wife, Jeannie Anderson
- Paddy Considine is Claude Bolton, manager of a local strip club
- Julianne Nicholson is Glory Maitland
- Yul Vazquez is Georgia Bureau of Investigation detective Yunis Sablo
- Jeremy Bobb is Alec Pelley, a private investigator hired by Howie
- Marc Menchaca is Detective Jack Hoskins
- Jason Bateman is Terry Maitland