AMC’s panel for The Walking Dead at the 2018 San Diego Comic Con was once again a huge draw, with details released on new cast members and the unveiling of a five minute trailer. The network also announced fans can expect TWD to return to AMC’s primetime lineup on October 7, 2018.
The trailer begins with Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) saying it’s been a while since we have had one of these talks. “It wasn’t that long ago we were fighting just to stay alive, but it’s not like that anymore. We built it, we’re growing. Still ready to deal with this world on its own terms,” says Rick. The trailer then shows clips of Rick and Michonne on horseback taking down walkers and pitching in to rebuild the Sanctuary. A discussion’s held to set rules on how they’ll treat each other in a civilized manner, although clips show peace is not going to come easy.
Also at the San Diego Comic Con, Lincoln confirmed the ninth season will be his last on the series. Rumors had swirled for months regarding his possible departure, and at Comic Con he got emotional when discussing leaving The Walking Dead behind. “I love this show. It means everything to me. I love the people who make this show,” said Lincoln. “I’m really, really excited about this season. No one is bigger than the story, and the story this year is unbelievable.”
New The Walking Dead Season 9 Cast Members:
- Brett Butler as Tammy Rose – A salt-of-the-earth resident at Hilltop.
- John Finn as Earl – Hilltop’s blacksmith and Tammy Rose’s devoted husband.
- Rhys Coiro as Jed – A rebellious Savior who refuses to fall in line.
- Dan Fogler as Luke – A fatigued survivor who understands there is safety in numbers. He values what is beautiful and hopeful and makes us uniquely human.
- Zach McGowan as Justin – a hostile Savior not interested in working together with the other communities.
- Angel Theory as Kelly – Connie’s ever-alert and ever-protective sister.
- Samantha Morton as Alpha
In addition to Andrew Lincoln, the cast members who made the trek to the San Diego Comic Con included Norman Reedus, Lauren Cohan, Danai Gurira and Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Executive producer and showrunner Angela Kang, executive producers Scott M. Gimple, Robert Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd, David Alpert, and executive producer, director and special effects make-up supervisor Greg Nicotero also participated in The Walking Dead panel.