Warner Bros Pictures’ big budget action epic King Arthur: Legend of the Sword wasn’t tracking well prior to its theatrical release, and the film’s actual numbers are down from even the low-end pre-release estimates. Budgeted at $175 million-ish, Guy Ritchie’s new take on the King Arthur legend pulled in just $14.7 million. The weekend’s other wide release, Snatched, fared slightly better, ringing up $17.5 million which is right around what was expected from the R-rated comedy starring Goldie Hawn and Amy Schumer.
With the weekend’s new releases opening to less than spectacular numbers, it was easy for reigning box office champ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 to hang onto first place. However, Guardians will be handing over the #1 spot on the box office chart next weekend when the much-anticipated new Alien film, Alien: Covenant, opens in 3,600 theaters.
Box Office Top 10: May 12-14, 2017
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 – $63,007,000
- Snatched – $17,500,000
- King Arthur: Legend of the Sword – $14,700,000
- The Fate of the Furious – $5,301,160
- The Boss Baby – $4,600,000
- Beauty and the Beast – $3,860,000
- How to be a Latin Lover – $3,750,000
- Lowriders – $2,413,205
- The Circle – $1,740,000
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion – $1,550,000