The cast of the timely comedy Space Force has expanded by six. Netflix announced John Malkovich, Ben Schwartz, Diana Silvers, Tawny Newsome, Jimmy O. Yang, and Alex Sparrow have signed on to the streaming service’s new comedy series.
Steve Carell was previously announced to star in the series. Carell co-created the comedy with Greg Daniels (The Office, King of the Hill, Parks and Recreation), and both are on board as executive producers, with Daniels serving as the season one showrunner. Howard Klein/3Arts (The Office, The Mindy Project, Parks and Recreation) is also executive producing.
BAFTA nominee Paul King (Paddington, Paddington 2) is directing the first two episodes.
Space Force‘s first season will consist of 10 30-minute episodes and is expected to launch in 2020.
Space Force Details and Character Descriptions, Courtesy of Netflix:
- The Plot: “Workplace comedy centered around the people back on Earth tasked with creating a sixth branch of the armed services… Space Force.”
- Steve Carell plays “Mark R. Naird,” a General tapped by the White House to lead a new branch of the Armed Forces with the goal of putting American “Boots on the Moon” by 2024.
- John Malkovich plays “Dr. Adrian Mallory” – Head Science Advisor, brilliant, arrogant and hoping to prevent space from becoming the next great international battlefield.
- Ben Schwartz plays “F. Tony Scarapiducci” – A self-centered media consultant whose Machiavellian goals only sometimes line up with those of Mark or Space Force.
- Diana Silvers plays “Erin Naird” – Popular and an A-student in Washington DC, Mark’s daughter is an outcast in Wild Horse Colorado after transferring to a remote military base and turns to delinquency.
- Tawny Newsome plays “Angela Ali” – Helicopter pilot, ambitious and competitive, with secret dreams that she keeps close to the vest.
- Jimmy O. Yang plays “Doctor Chan Kaifang” – Doctor Mallory’s right hand man, Chan is a brilliant astrophysicist and rocket engineer who immigrated from China as a teenager and loves all things American, from fly fishing to the Baltimore Orioles.
- Alex Sparrow plays “Yuri ‘Bobby’ Telatovich” – A charming observer from the Russian Government, Yuri is curious about many things in Mark’s life, like his daughter, or the tech specs of the Javelin missile.